The Santa Barbara County Education Office is looking for an experienced IT professional with exceptional problem-solving and computer skills to join our dynamic Information Technology Services team!
Our ideal candidate:
You are an innovative professional with excellent communication skills, and a proven track record of establishing rapport and earning the trust of colleagues and end users because of your attitude and results. You are good with people. You are an excellent problem-solver, highly responsible, and take ownership of all the tasks and responsibilities of the position. You conduct research, communicate effectively, and solve problems, or collaborate with other technical colleagues in that pursuit, without jumping to conclusions, or leaving the solutions to others. You mentor and train others and give credit where it is due. You are solutions-oriented, inspire others by avoiding micro-managing, and you lead by example. You are committed to providing the best service available to the Santa Barbara County Education office and the school districts it serves.
Responsible for administration of network servers, Internet, intranet and email services, and office security infrastructure, and for providing technical assistance and network support to departments of the Santa Barbara County Education Office. Also responsible for providing support to school districts in resolving connection and data communication issues for the financial system.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
• Communicate effectively with others, always remaining helpful, courteous, and respectful
• Troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems
• Design, configure, support, maintain, and evaluate servers and security infrastructure • Monitor client/server
applications and database connectivity
• Manage physical and virtual servers in a Windows and Linux environment, ensuring that each server has as close to
100% up time as practical
• Help maintain security of servers from unauthorized intrusion by physical or electronic means
• Ensure the accurate, efficient, and timely performance of production systems and applications residing on all
network servers under control of Information Technology (IT) Services, with highest priority given to payroll, email,
Internet, and Intranet
• Manage the operation of local and wide-area networks, providing technical assistance and support to users of the
LAN, WAN, and Intranet/Internet
• Administer email, Internet, and Intranet services, including integration with handheld devices
• Monitor and maintain databases related to user access to email, Internet and Intranet services, network equipment access and security, and tape library, administering the assignment and deletion of related accounts and passwords
• Perform vendor-supplied system and software upgrades to all designated equipment and services
• Provide financial system connectivity support to school districts
• Perform installations and upgrades, troubleshooting and repairing servers and workstations
• Train users in operation of computer equipment and office systems, and provide technical assistance to employees and school district staff in person and by phone, communicating effectively with others
• Resolve data communication issues as they relate to networks, printers, and other peripheral devices
• Install, test, and set up computers (Windows and Mac Operating Systems) and peripherals, printer sharing devices, servers, switches, uninterruptable power supply devices, network, cabling, and data communication devices
• Install, configure, and test Windows servers, integrating servers with other devices • Submit timely bills for tasks completed, documenting time spent, parts used, and software/hardware purchased
• Upgrade and maintain hardware and software as required, including office network services such as backups, antivirus protection and file sharing
• Monitor wireless systems and troubleshoot as needed
• Ensure that regularly scheduled backups occur for all computer systems. • Perform annual software/hardware inventory for office computers
• Document and maintain all technical procedures for the Computer/Network Technician Manual.
• Evaluate computer hardware and software, making recommendations regarding selection, installation, upgrade, and use
• Serve as liaison between departments, vendors, and end users, coordinating with vendors on warranty repairs to network servers, computers and peripherals
• Work with vendors to develop an understanding of products and evaluate proposals
• Routinely update supervisor with status of tasks
• Participate in planning and implementing technical projects
• Plan, design, and implement Active Directory group policy as assigned
• Perform computer/network/application support duties as needed
• Maintain up-to-date records of software licenses, product warranties, configuration images, maintenance, and repair activities
• Monitor to ensure compliance with software licenses, and maintain a database inventory of hardware, software, and users
• Monitor trends and developments in systems, networking, and multi-platform communication technologies
• Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge of the following required:
• Current Windows and Macintosh computers, peripherals, security devices, and related office applications
• Troubleshooting strategies and resources
• Email protocols, network printing and wireless, and file sharing and web services
• Positive customer support techniques, and a track record of successes and experiences
• Software maintenance, LAN/WAN network performance tuning, and system diagnostic software
• Data communication security and network access protocols (TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, VPN SonicWall, CISCO, and Active Directory)
• Industry-standard word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs
• Planning, directing, implementing, maintaining, and troubleshooting wired and wireless networks, physical and virtual servers, and storage area networks.
Education and Requirements:
A combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required knowledge and skill for the responsibilities of this position. Four years of increasingly responsible experience with computer networks, servers, and workstations.
Licenses and certificates:
Valid California driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage required by law.
Data processing environment, subject to noise and travel to various sites within the county. Minimal exposure to health and safety risks.
Salary: $71,568 -$90,948 per year (current top salary: $100,452 per year); initial placement is at one of the first ten steps of the salary range.
Apply Online: https://info.sbceo.org/fmi/webd/Classified%20Openings?homeurl=https://sbceo.org/hr
*The application deadline is October 12, 2022*
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.