Pacific Diagnostic Laboratories (Full Time; Salaried Position)
Laboratory Supervisor has direct responsibility for the supervision of their work area and, in this capacity, is responsible for the organization of work, supervision of employees, staff development, expense control, quality assurance, process improvement, and problem solving in the delivery of services. This will include specific administrative functions as well as operational or technical functions. The Laboratory Supervisor supports and directs the daily operation of the laboratory area assigned and guides staff in meeting customer needs consistent with Cottage Health Systems expectations. Duties will include, but not be limited to, staff scheduling, supply management, Kronos editing, QC oversight, training and competency, and staff assessment.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB COMPETENCIES
1. Personnel Management: Takes a lead role in selection of exceptional applicants for employment. Works with employees to give them opportunities to expand their skills. Promotes an environment that fosters self-directed staff and assists employees to develop and contribute to the organization. Educates staff on CHS policies and consistently and fairly holds staff accountable when required. Identifies training needs and provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies. Remains timely in evaluating staff competency and submitting personnel documents such as evaluations and performance memos. Maintains laboratory productivity by monitoring workload of functional areas, identifying peak and slack periods, and making necessary operational or staffing adjustments. Ensures patient test results are not reported if a testing exception has occurred. Percentage of time: 50%
2. Leadership: Promotes an organizational focus by communicating and supporting established organizational goals. Identifies and recommends to management departmental goals that support the organizational goals that facilitate interdepartmental problem-solving and support new concepts, collaborating to negotiate resolution to issues. Maintains customer focus for both internal and external customers by serving as a role model. In conjunction with the Manager will identify new laboratory methodologies to be developed. Percentage of time: 20%
3. Fiscal Management: Monitor budgets and identifies and recommends to management effective expense reduction solutions, including but not limited to new programs, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures. Percentage of time: 10%
4. Quality Management/Performance Improvement: Participates as a team member in the development of the laboratory Quality Management System. Participates in the collection and evaluation of data for performance monitors. Reviews data in a timely fashion and takes action as appropriate. Participates in the development and monitoring of training criteria so training is completed in a cohesive manner. Maintains minimal core competencies in key areas. Percentage of time: 10%
5. Resource: Serves as a resource to lab staff, in resolving technical problems and ensuring remedial actions are taken whenever tests systems deviate from established specifications. Promotes and facilitates collaboration within and among departments, and provides learning and growth opportunities. May work on the bench and is aware of the working conditions and issues that may affect performance and quality. Percentage of time: 10%
All job qualifications listed indicate the minimum level necessary to perform this job proficiently.
LEVEL OF EDUCATION
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
YEARS OF RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
Cottage Health is a leading acute care hospital system, located on the central coast of California, widely known for our superior patient care, innovation, medical research and education. Our health system operates primarily in Santa Barbara, Ca, since 1888, and consists of three acute care hospitals, a Rehabilitation Hospital, multiple clinics and a multi-site Urgent Care system. Our mission is to serve the central coast communities with excellence, integrity, and compassion. Every day we touch thousands of lives in many different ways, resolute in our mission to put patients first. We take pride in helping our patients get back to living their lives - in the places they love.
Apply online at: jobs.cottagehealth.org
Cottage Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cottage Health applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, transgender, gender expression and identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of the relationship between Cottage Health and an applicant or employee. Cottage Health is committed to upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. We strive to cultivate an environment where exceptional people bring diverse perspectives and find belonging, support and connection to their work.
Any Cottage Health applicants who require assistance or reasonable accommodations during the application process may request the need for accommodation with the Recruiter.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.